Striving to live a healthy and sustained life, while loving animals, the environment and myself! :-)

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Springtime 3 Bean & Pasta Salad!!!

This is one of my new favorites. And I know, I know... it's pasta, but it's whole grain, and I've got legumes and greenery in it too, so it balances out. This beautiful bowl contains that "Plus" pasta (although in the future I'll use whole wheat; I just didn't have it on hand), then a blend of Garbanzo beans, Red Kidney beans, and Soybeans (or Edemame). I used cans of Garbanzo and Kidney, then frozen Soybeans because that's the easiest way to find them, however I'm all for cooking your own dried beans if you pre-plan! I coated them with a mixture of olive oil, a little vinegar, fresh ground salt and pepper, and (stay with me here), lemon juice and a teeny tiny splash of OJ. Lastly, I folded some fresh Spinach leaves in the mix. Trust me, this is so filling, yet refreshing, at the same time. I'd love to hear what spring/summer "salads" are your favorites!

1 comment:

  1. My fave bean salad is one my dad used to make for us when my mom wasn't home, haha. I never thought about it being vegan until I went veg for a little while in college!

    - 1 can blackeye peas (drained)
    - 1 can corn (low sodium if possible, also drained)
    - fresh tomatoes, diced
    - sweet onions, diced
    - salsa to taste (I used Trader Joe's habanero lime last time, so yum)

    Stir, heat a tiny bit, eat! Delish. ❤

    (When I remember to buy it, I also add a can of meat-free Hoppin John. The Margaret Holmes brand is vegan, if I recall correctly.) :)

    ReplyDelete