Striving to live a healthy and sustained life, while loving animals, the environment and myself! :-)

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Quinoa for Breakfast? Maybe...

Ok, so when I made this dish, I made it for dinner and honestly the ingredients are pretty much all I had on hand. However, after eating it, I thought it might make a pretty yummy breakfast. I don't know about you, but I think most people (me, included) eat somewhat sweet things for breakfast (cereal, oatmeal, yogurt (of course mine is soy), pancakes, etc.) 

Well this quinoa dish turned out to be the perfect balance of sweet and savory. I made the quinoa per the normal method; soaked in water for a few minutes, rinsed and then boiled in twice the amount of water (i.e. one cup of quinoa, two cups of water). About halfway through the boiling I threw in some sliced carrots. Cooked carrots are surprisingly sweet for a vegetable! After a couple minutes I added diced apples. Then with just a few minutes left to cook I added a giant handful of raisins! You can tell when the quinoa is almost done based on the amount of water left to absorb; it's like rice so use common sense and add a little water if it looks like it might burn or if the kernels aren't as fluffy as the ones in my picture. 


OH... and the secret ingredient: brown sugar! Add about a teaspoon around the time you add the apples or raisins. And you could substitute pure maple syrup, because it's definitely better for you, but a little brown sugar isn't horrible. A little cinnamon might be nice too, although I didn't put any in this version. 

So whether you make this dish for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or a snack, it's packed with protein and is super filling. However, don't forget you need to make sure you get your greens in at some point during the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment