Striving to live a healthy and sustained life, while loving animals, the environment and myself! :-)

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A Plate of Sunshine!

 I love when I get home from the Farmer's Market and have so many fresh, colorful veggies to choose from for that night's dinner. This is the festive combination I came up with, and I cooked up so quinoa for protein punch.
My cooking is so simple, I almost don't think I can claim that I'm a real "cook," but I think everything turns out pretty good, so I relish the title.

As for this meal, I literally cut up the squash, carrots, and mushrooms, and snapped the ends off the beans and threw them in a pan with a tiny bit of olive oil. I always layer at the beginning with the things that need to cook the longest. i.e. carrots in the pan first, then beans, then squash. I wait until those are almost fully cooked before adding the mushrooms.
The potatoes I just cubed and boiled until tender. Quinoa was boiled as well in 2x the water until all the water was absorbed and the kernels were fluffy.

When everything's finished I add a little Earth Balance spread to the potatoes and salt and pepper to taste. I usually add salt to vegetables as they're cooking because it brings out the flavors better, but then I have to remember not to add any additional salt out of habit.

And the beauty is that I always make extra so I have lunch for the next day. This meal is so simple, and once your palate is cleansed from processed and junk food, simple foods taste incredible. All the individual flavors really pop and the idea of any McDonald's menu idea seems so heavy and starchy and repelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment