Striving to live a healthy and sustained life, while loving animals, the environment and myself! :-)

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

What's for dinner?

Monday night I heard the usual question from the boyfriend, "What's for dinner?" To which I respond the usual way, "Well, what do you want?"
"How about that quinoa thing you make with the stuff in it?" 
"Ha. Ok, sure thing!"




The Mediterranean Quinoa dish, as I've appropriately titled it, is one of my favorites and so easy to make that we end up eating it almost once a week. It's super yummy, almost comfort food. And is practically a complete meal, although this time I served it with steamed carrots, yellow squash and broccoli on the side.
Here's how you make it:
I'm not good with measurements when I cook, I kind of just eye things and taste as I go, but this is a decent shot...
1 cup quinoa (cook according to directions, basically like rice; boil it with about twice as much water til it's fluffy)
1 handful of sun-dried tomatoes (mix into qunioa about 1/2 way through cooking)
1/2 can chick peas
1/2 can sliced black olives
1/2 diced cucumber
Mediterranean spices (I use McCormick's Perfect Pinch Mediterranean Herb; which is a blend of chili pepper, oregano, rosemary, thyme, paprika, garlic powder)
Sea salt and ground pepper to taste

Mix all other ingredients into the qunioa immediately after it's removed from heat.
I then mix in about a Tablespoon of Tofutti Cream Cheese... I know it sounds weird but it makes it creamy and delicious.
Sliced tomatoes to garnish.

Volia'!

And then of course I had to make his favorite dessert... I think it's actually become the favorite dessert of everyone I've ever made it for!


Chocolate Peanut Butter Cups
These guys are A-MAZ-ING! The boyfriend would eat a whole batch if I'd let him!

The recipe for these can be found in Alicia Silverstone's book, "The Kind Diet," or on her website, here
They are super simple to make and actually not that bad for you at all. Alicia says to put them in the fridge to set, but I like keeping them in the freezer! YUM!

Enjoy... hope this inspired you all to make a yummy dinner tonight! Guaranteed to satisfy even the non-veggie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment