Striving to live a healthy and sustained life, while loving animals, the environment and myself! :-)

Friday, December 10, 2010

A Night Out

So I admit, sometimes it's hard for me to go out to eat. Which can really put a damper on my social life, because let's face it, socializing revolves around food (or alcohol). And I've never really been able to justify spending money on a tiny little salad with practically no nutritional value, that I could have made at home for $2.
But with that being said, it's nice to have back-ups and places I can go and feel like I'm eating a decently healthy meal.

I can always eat at a Moe's, or Willy's, or Chipotle', etc. Burritos have a good culmination of nutritional ingredients; tofu, rice, black beans, guac, etc. and they're pretty easily accessible and quick.

However, if you're an Atlanta local, Shiek Burrito, located at 1877 Piedmont Rd. is a pretty great spot.


 I've been there 3 times now and went on Wednesday night with one of my girl friends for a night of catch up. It's a Persian/Southwestern fusion according to the owner (a guy I actually used to work with, plus I love the idea of supporting local, independent businesses) and is full of unique flavors.
All of his stuff is organic, local, free range, etc. And since he doesn't use any butter or animal fats/oils in the kitchen I don't have to worry about what I get. I get the Happy Vegan, either in a wheat tortilla or a persian wrap, then add all kinds of goodies. Naturally I start with the tofu, which has like a curryish flavor to it, then you build it with different sauces and such. There's a lentil and eggplant sauce that is super hearty and yummy and just feels good to eat when it's cold. Or a greens and kidney bean sauce that makes me feel like I'm getting my nutrients... then it's served with chips and a persian salsa that is really good too. I can never eat the whole thing which makes me happy to have lunch for the next day taken care of. So in short, vegans take heart in eating out in the way of burritos... and if you're looking for something out of the ordinary try the Persian style place! It's good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment