Striving to live a healthy and sustained life, while loving animals, the environment and myself! :-)

Monday, May 9, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Yesterday I was so blessed to get to spend the afternoon and evening with my wonderful Mother (Mama) and Grandma (Mimi). And the paternal figures were there too! :-p




I was additionally blessed to be able to cook for my family and let them share in the yumminess of vegan food!
I made a sort of Pasta Pomodoro I guess, but it was mainly a vegetable stew served with pasta as opposed to a sauce. Paired with fresh asparagus, this was a beautiful, hearty and nutritionally sound meal!
The pasta is, of course, a whole wheat penne. And the sauce was just a combination of as many veggies and herbs I could find:


Swirl of Olive oil
1/2 of a large onion (finely diced) 
Handful of carrots (chopped)

1/2 of a large eggplant (cubed)
1/2 can black olives (pitted and chopped coarsely) 
1 can garbanzo beans (drained and rinsed)
1 yellow squash (diced)
1 large can of Italian crushed tomatoes
Couple handfuls of fresh spinach
Italian herbs
Garlic
Some flakes of red pepper
3 bay leaves
Salt and Pepper


Pretty much I start with the oil and onions and cook them down some. 
Then add the carrots because they take the longest to cook. 
A couple mins later I add the eggplant.
Then the tomatoes.
Once the tomatoes go in, all the spices follow.
Add the rest of the ingredients (except for the spinach) and just let simmer for pretty much as long as you want. The flavors will develop the longer it cooks. 
Cook pasta according to directions, then drain and add it to the sauce while sauce is still simmering.
When you're just about ready to take it off the heat, fold in the spinach!

The asparagus was just sauteed in a pan with Olive oil, garlic salt and pepper until at my desired texture. (I like them a little crisp!)


The beautiful table looked like this:


I also made dessert! While they were intended to be cupcakes they ended up a little more like muffins because I use whole wheat flour which tends to make things more dense. 
These (cakes) were dairy and sugar free since my grandpa is diabetic. 
This is the recipe I used for the cupcakes:
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 1/2 cups almond milk
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup Splenda
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons unsweetened apple sauce
1 tablespoon Agave Nectar
1/4 cup coconut oil (warmed until liquid)
1 1/4 teaspoons vanilla


The "frosting" I used seemed to be more of a yogurt, but it was really good.
1 cup firm tofu (8oz)
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3-4 tablespoons agave nectar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
5-6 diced strawberries

Combine all the ingredients in a blender until very smooth.
Let chill in the refrigerator while cupcakes are cooking before frosting.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer -- You're blog is SO interesting! The food looks great. I'm actually thinking about becoming a vegan. It's good to see there are people out there who can do it successfully!

    I have a really random request for you. A friend of mine turns 25 on Saturday, and he's a HUGE Braves fan. He loves the Tomahawk Team, and follows your blog because you are such an inspiration to those of us trying to eat healthily! I have been brainstorming over what to get him for his bday, and I think it would be HUGE if I could get him a signed picture of you for him! Is there any chance I could get one from you? I'd be happy to have one printed out, and all you would have to do is sign it! I live in Virginia Highlands but could come to wherever you are. I know this is a really random request for you to help me with by Saturday, but it would be such a huge favor, and I know he would LOVE it!

    If there's any chance you could help me out, I can't tell you how much I would appreciate it!

    My email is: jessicarlopez@gmail.com. Thank you for any help you could give me!

    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jessica,
    Hmm... I'm not sure how to go about that.
    I'm not even on the team this year :-/
    But I have some team pictures from last year. I'll be in buckhead tonight and tomorrow working, so it would be possible to meet up at some point. Would you like me to send you a couple of the team pics and see if you'd want to print any of them out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, some team pics would be awesome! And I can definitely meet you in Buckhead sometime... what time will you be working? If you email me, I can send you my number and maybe we can get in touch that way? Thanks so much for offering to help!

    ReplyDelete